MBLC Director's Tour of Williamstown, Richmond, Great Barrington, Stockbridge, Monterey, Becket libraries and archives

Thank you Alex Reszkowski and everybody who helped organize the tour ,and to library staff, trustees, friends and volunteers for welcoming the group


Tuesday, November 12
 
10am - Milne Public Library in Williamstown
11:45am - Lunch at Hancock Shaker Village
1pm - Richmond Free Public Library
2:30pm - Great Barrington Public Library, Mason Branch
4pm -  Stockbridge Library 
5pm - Austen Riggs Center Library & Archives 
Dinner in Stockbridge

Wednesday, November 13
9am - Monterey Library
10:30am - Jacob's Pillow 
Noon - Lunch at the Porter Memorial Library in Blandford

Alex and Vicky

Maureen at Milne

Wendy Pearson director of the Stockbridge Library, Museum and Archives 


Archives and Preservation Jacob's Pillow

  • Norton Owen, Director of Preservation 
  • Patsy Gay, Associate Archivist
  • Sumi Matsumoto, Digital Archivist

Whenever I enter a library for the first time I feel a combination of awe and comfortable familiarity. Every library whether big or small, fancy or plain, old or new makes me happy. I could never pick a favorite library. HOWEVER, the dance library and archive at Jacob's Pillow thrilled me in a special way because it combined 2 of my favorite things in the world. When I got home, I made a donation to JP as a thank-you.









I knew a bit about Ruth St. Denis after studying up when the Crescent Dancers were invited to dance at Community Day in 2004 but I didn't know much about Ted Shawn. On the tour, I learned that I was not giving Ted Shawn the credit he deserved for the establishment of Jacob's Pillow. Sorry Ted!




The photographs were amazing. 







Monterey Public Library

  • Trustees:
  • Mickey Jervas, Chair to 2025.
  • Judy Kaminstein to 2026.
  • Nancy Kleban to 2024.
  • Cheryl Zellman to 2024.
  • Rebecca Wolin to 2025.
  • Sam Reggio to 2026.


Mark Maycook in Monterey along with trustees Micky and Sam and Mark's sister



















Wendy and Maureen at Stockbridge




Dawn Jardine Great Barrington Library Director and Tim Cherubini MBLC commissioner

Sharon Shaloo is a trustee at Great Barrington

Alex gets playful (who could resist a puppet theater!) at the Richmond Free Public Library












Richmond













Shaker Hancock Village










The delegation was warmly welcomed at the Blandford Public Library and treated to a delicious lunch and delightful conversation about the wonderful library community. Thank you Blandford!





Trustee Mary Kronholm is a former MBLC commissioner and an unstoppable force for the good of libraries


Director Nicole Daviau talked about plans for the future renovation of the tiny Porter Memorial Library in Blandford

 

No comments: