we don’t have to think alike to love alike

I talked with a town official who is a "no" voter yesterday. We could not see eye to eye on the subject of the library and he scoffed when I said that the most important thing is to stay connected as a community. I told him my "yes" friends think I am idealistic in this regard as well. Shutesbury townspeople have been disagreeing for 250 years and why should we be any different? We Shutesburians are especially touchy when it comes to the subject of taxes and newcomers.


“Things were better in 1970 before you people moved to town”.

That makes me angry because it disrespects the spirit of Nathan Hunting who welcomed the immigrant parents of those who consider themselves “old timers” today.

Nathan Hunting Shutesbury town clerk from 1911-1961 valued education, honesty and quiet diplomacy.


Said during an incident of religious intolerance “she was good enough for us when we were in trouble, so why isn’t she good enough for us now?”


We all live here now. Shutesbury residents have the responsibility to honor those who came before and to prepare for those who will come after. Dedicated volunteers have worked for years and have done their homework to plan a new library just as Mirick Spear, William Hemenway, Miss Mary Clark did over 100 years ago. They and others recognized the need for the library to grow and they made it happen. Now it's our turn.

No comments: