I was warned to watch out for smooth talking fancy Boston architects with unreasonable design aspirations. On the walk-through I tried to ignore that Conrad looked carefully at every corner of the Spear library and Matt asked the question about honoring history that showed a careful reading of our building plan.
The Library Facility Needs Assessment Committee received 14 proposals from architects. When I laid them end to end it took 4 seconds to see that one was extraordinary. As I read on it became clear that Oudens Ello understood our town and our library needs, and had the experience and the talent to design the right library for our town. "Specializing in academic, institutional, and cultural projects and demonstrating commitment to a sustainable future." When I looked at their previous projects I cried. No kidding. Unique, thoughtful, spot on brilliant! The Rey Center which looks like a page from Curious George, the Allston branch of the BPL timeless and elegant even looks like a book, the Mystic Seaport Maritime Museum gets out of the way and simply tells the story of the sea, and the Getty Villa that miraculously fuses stately with California. I could see how thoughtfully they matched a design to each unique circumstance and knew they were the right match for our town.
My respect for Mat and Conrad grows with every interaction. They understand that a building reflects its community, culture and place. Brilliant designers and good listeners, dedicated professionals, organized and smart, their considerable charm is put to good use in finding consensus among a community of differing opinions and agendas.
No comments:
Post a Comment